Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Look Into My Eating (or Feasting?)

"There is NO WAY you are going to be able to eat all of that!" my roommate exclaims after seeing my feast breakfast. Sounds like a challenge to me. We just got back from training with our usual total body routine , which always beats me into the ground. Since I had already swam that morning too, and only had a protein shake and a banana after that, I was in serious need of sustenance. So I decided to make my usual breakfast which consists of these magical culinary delights:
  • 3 whole omega-3 egg's
  • 1/2 cup egg whites
  • 1 cup broccoli 
  • half a red bell pepper
  • 2 slices Orowheat Light wheat bread (my toaster is too small for bigger bread.)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons Smart Balance peanut butter
  • 1/12 tablespoons organic fruit spread
  • 1/3 cup Coach's Oats
  • 1/4 cup blueberries
  • 1/2 cup cottage cheese
  • cinnamon to taste
  • cup of coffee
As you can see, it is quite large. But, I do this for 3 major reasons: 1. Breakfast should be the largest meal of the day. 2. Your after training meal should be one of your biggest meals of the day as well. 3. Food is awesome!

The nutritional breakdown of this meal (brought to you by Fitday.com) is 27 grams of good healthy mono- and polyunsaturated fats with only 6 grams of saturated fat, 84 grams of carbohydrates with 20 grams of fiber, and 62 grams of good complete proteins. Thats a ratio of 30%:40%:30% of fat:carbohydrates:protein for a total of 805 calories. Thats a pretty well balanced meal in my opinion.

After that, my meals will get progressively smaller due to decreased need of calories throughout the day. I still eat every 2-3 hours with protein at every meal. My average calorie consumption is around 3,400 calories a day on training days with a ratio of 45%:35%:20% carbs to fat to protein. What does your day look like? Do you track your food intake? Let me know in the comments below.

Until next time, be strong.

1 comment:

  1. Many institutions limit access to their online information. Making this information available will be an asset to all.

    ReplyDelete